Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Preschool This week: Letter M and Service

First Up: Letter M lesson plan

After worksheets and opening exercises, the girls put their hands inside a tissue box and pulled out an item that started with M...it was a riddle for me to go around the house and find items small enough to fit that started with M.

For our craft we did M&M graph charts. Each girl got two fun sized bags of M&M's. I found this M&M chart to use. They sorted their candy by color, then put them in rows over each color, as seen in the picture.

Each girl counted how many were in each color, and wrote that number above the row. Then they colored in a bar or a dot for each candy, so they'd have a chart once the M&M's were cleared away.

Then we went through each color, and they looked around to see who had the most and the least of reds, then blues, etc. And then we went through numbers, and found that one person had no reds, who had one of a color, two of a color, etc.



For the rest of the day, we read 5 little Monkeys sitting in the tree, and 5 little monkeys jumping on the bed, and acted them out while singing.

Today's theme was Service.

We talked about serving our families, and doing someihtng nice for someone without expecting anything in return.

Then we made cards for a little girl with a long term illness. We found her information here on Make a Child Smile.

While they were making the cards, I pulled away each child to make a Cookie Jar. I found the recipe here for Cowgirl Cookies on Bakerella's blog. We just used Christmas M&M's instead of pink ones.

The girls brought home one cookie jar to keep and make with their families, and one cookie jar to give away to a friend or neighbor.




Then we played Freeze Tag. Do you remember freeze tag? Part of the game, as I remember it, is once you are frozen, someone has to crawl under you to unfreeze you. I thought it was a great active part of our service. The girls were so excited to unfreeze someone, there would be two or three girls unfreezing each frozen girl. It was adorable.

We read some books that included kindness and service, and then we talked about a service turkey. It's my made up idea, I don't know if it will work. Here's the chart I gave them:





It's a list of 14 ways to serve within their families. Then I included a copy of this turkey, from skip to my lou. She has a whole set of Thanksgiving printables for the kiddos to do while you make a meal for the masses.

The idea for the turkey is that each time they do a service, they color in an acorn or a leaf, then the turkey last. I was hoping this would provide some kind of incentive to serving, simply the tracking of progress to make it fun. We shall see.

I'm going to remind the girls when they help me and do extra things to color it in, maybe that will get them excited about helping out around the house!

Feel free to use my chart above for your family, let me know how it works out for ya.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...