Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Candyland Party!

Sophia turned 6  a few weeks ago. And I went all out. ALL OUT. For three weeks all my free time was devoted to this party. And I’m still exhausted over it. It was  a great party, but I think I’ll try to find less time intensive activities and decorations for Natalie’s party in January.

I also decided I’m only going to do big parties for the kids from age 3 until they’re 8, and not go all out for other holidays like I used to. It’s just too much. That being said, I do these parties because I enjoy using my brain muscles in a different way, and they are so much fun during the party. Maybe someday I’ll do it as a business. But don’t expect any water bottle labels from me. That’s drawing the line. :)

This is the overall party post, you can jump on over here for Decorations and Cake and Favors.

When the kids arrived they decorated paper crowns for a later game, and put their name on gingerbread name tags.

Then we did games! Here’s a concise list of all the activities:

1. Peppermint Relay- race with a peppermint on a plastic knife. One kid smartly licked it and put in on the knife- she ran around and it never fell off!

2. Licorice Race- eat a pull and peel licorice without any hands. Thought this would be hard- they all did it in 20 seconds!

3. Gumdrop Guess- Guess how many gumdrops in a jar. Everyone’s guess was either 100 or 1,000. I had to tell them to guess over 100 to finally get someone to be picked as a winner.

4. Gingerbread Houses- Made these ahead of time, decorated during the party with colored marshmallows, gumdrops, trix candy, candy corn, skittles and leftover colored fondant.

5. Pin the Crown on Princess Lolly- Decorated paper crowns with lollipop cut outs  and crayons, then pinned them on blindfolded. More about this later.

6. Ice Cream Cone balloon toss- Scrapbook paper cut out and rolled into cones. Tossed balloons around and tried to catch with the cones.

7. Cake and Ice Cream and Presents- The best part of the party!

Ok, here’s some pics:

IMG_8016IMG_8018

     

IMG_8023

Lilly tried so hard and was so excited to get it in her mouth!

IMG_7994

Gingerbread houses waiting to be frosted and decorated.

IMG_8036 IMG_8037

 

Princess Lolly game- Our blindfolds never worked. Sophia wanted this game, and then later said she loved it “Because I won at it at Rachel’s party.” So of course, when she doesn’t get it spot on at her party, she has a mini breakdown. We let her try again- and didn’t say anything as she pinned it as seen in the second picture. (Props to Meggan for getting this pic).

 

IMG_8043 IMG_8053

Ice cream toss cones- didn’t get a picture in action, I was too busy getting the cake ready!

IMG_8009

Sophia with her birthday crown on from school, blowing out the candles-

IMG_8058 IMG_8062

The whole crew. I hope this picture ends up on Facebook in 20 years when all these kids are grown up! (Will we even have facebook then? who knows!)

IMG_8068 IMG_8073

Hooray for Candyland parties and my Sweet 6 year old Sophia!

3 comments:

Ginger said...

I have to tell you, I finally threw out Leah's Gingerbread house that she made at the party. I threw it out yesterday. She's been snacking on it in her room ever since the party. I know, that's gross, the party was weeks ago, but she just couldn't part with it! You did a fabulous job on the party! (Oh, and the activity books. Leah came home that night and colored in hers until bedtime and then insisted on bringing it to church to finish it. Again, you did a great job!)

dockters said...

Holy smokes, Jacki! What a darling birthday party. You should definitely go into the biz! All of it looks so fun.

Mike & Andrea said...

Wow! That was a lot of work but what a fun party idea. I hope you laminated your art work/decorations for a future party. You have such fun ideas, may have to copy this one but at a much smaller scale.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...