Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Stegosaurus Liam



Last week a darling baby boy joined the world on Sophia's Birthday. No, it wasn't mine, but a dear friend from high school and college, Kassie Thompson. He was named after my father, but he goes by Liam. Welcome the world Baby Liam! I sent Kassie this package last week, but along the way I took some pics, so maybe you can make one of your own. It's really simple once you wrap your head around it.

First, you need a scrap of fabric, about 12 inches by 18 inches. I free handed a dinosaur shape below, that's about 12 inches by 6 inches. If you're more cautious than that, google stegosaurus. Whatever shape you come up with , add about a 1/2 inch around for seam allowance. Fold your fabric in half , and cut out 2 of these shapes, each one will be a side of the dinosaur.






Then, I cut out pieces of ribbon in coordinating colors, as seen above, to about 5 1/2 or 6 inches. Ribbon width varied from 3/8 inch grosgrain to 1 inch jean fabric sewn to be like ribbon (seen below). Vary texture and color so it's more interesting for the baby. One of my ribbons is sheer, one jean, and the rest grosgrain.


Take one side of the dinosaur shape, and pin the ribbons all around, facing the inside. (once you sew and turn right side out, then they stick up) The important part here is to have the ribbon length inside the seam to be similar, and to keep the ribbon perpindicular to the curve of the dinosaur. If it's not, the ribbon will be at funny angles. They might overlap inside the dinosaur like below.




Sew two parallel seams all the way over the curve of the dinosaur.




Then line up the other dinosaur shape on top, right sides together, pin, and sew all the way around, leaving an opening on the tail or head for turning right side out. I sew with two seams. Careful around the legs, it's really easy for the fabric at those right angles to not be sewn right.



Turn right side out, stuff with polyfill and a bell if you want a jingle saurus.




Pin the opening closed, sew.

Hand sew an eye and mouth if you like.



You're done!

Now go whip up some burp cloths and a baby blanket, and make a baby happy!

1 comment:

Sarakenobi said...

I don't know how I found this but I have it on my TO DO list (a mile long) but a friend just had a baby boy last week and... I do have some fun fabric to use! I am hoping to steal this from you and I'll post pics and link you if and when I do it :)

Sara

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...