Sniff, away from...Sniff....my home.
Here we are two years ago...and then today...
While living here in Blacksburg I…
- Learned how to make friends quickly and have common interests beyond similar circumstances.
- Served in Primary (children's classes in church), and came to really appreciate how hard and rewarding teaching every week is.
- Started hosting parties and being comfortable
- Spent 12 months deciding what I wanted for my front window curtains, then another 12 months hating them.
- Started digitally scrap booking…couponing…quilting…costumes…bread baking…book binding…
- JOY SCHOOL!
- Perfected weekend trips to my parents house in Md.
- Took longer walks. over a mile long. Started running again, and liked it this time.
- Discovered freecycle and scored some AWESOME things.
(Pictures from our first year living here)
While here, My Girls…
- Learned how to crack and joke and laugh at themselves.
- Have grown into sisters and not just people who live in the same house and share parents.
- Are now Princess-obsessed (Sophia) and puppy obsessed (Natalie)
- Can now ride a bike and go on walks without strollers.
- And scores of other things I can’t remember…
(Pictures from our 2nd year here)
Blackburg. You've been awesome. Why you ask?
- Our house was awesome. Built in storage up the waazoo, and a secluded backyard.
- The town is decorated in Hokie statues. We spotted them all around town and on walks to Kroger. (A hokie is the Virginia Tech mascot and is really a turkey)
- Then there's the tailgaters firing up the grills and cracking open the brewskies at 8 am on game days.
- And I'll never forget all the times I felt old when in the grocery line with all the 18 year olds in booty shorts, who have just diet coke and bananas and beer in their baskets.
- Blacksburg is amazing in the spring. Garden of Eden.
(Blacksburg in all his seasonal glory)
- Plus there's the Blueberry picking. Huckleberry picking. Blackberry picking.
- The hills! I love the Hills! The best is going to my visiting teachees house, seriously a rollercoaster.
- The Huckleberry trail (a bike trail that runs to the next town), plus the national park hikes and bike lanes all over town. And the Caboose Park. And duck pond. And all the professors jogging at lunch time.
- The cutest babies. The babies born in this ward are seriously more cute than the ones in your ward. Sorry, but true. (Back me up on this blacksburg peeps!)
- Last but not least, my friends. Why do we always have to leave our friends behind? There's facebook and blogs and blah blah blah, but nothing replaces seeing your friends often and having a good fat laugh. I will miss you friends.
Blacksburg, until next time. I will miss you.