Friday, July 1, 2011

Day 3- Albuquerque Balloon Museum

If you read Day 1, and you think you’ve missed Day 2, you’re not going crazy. That day I took pics on my Dad’s camera, so they’ll be posted in 2 weeks when I get the cd from him.

On Friday we went by the Balloon Museum. Most people think of the Balloon Fiesta when they think of Albuquerque. I have never gone, this museum was the closest thing to it.

IMG_1973IMG_1978

The Museum goes through the history of man made flight, starting with different kinds of gases and materials and shapes.

 

IMG_1980

 

The flights that were predecessors to Rockets were hot air balloons. They were even used in combat during the first world war.

IMG_1987

 

The back of the museum had some life sized balloons- the ones that Steve Fossett used to fly around the world was 22 stories high (not the one pictured below)

IMG_1988IMG_1991IMG_1993

I loved this little hot air balloon models.

In the second part of the museum you can try out a simulator and pull the cords to make the air hotter, or open the fan to descend.

IMG_1996IMG_1997

There were little stations to talk about principles of lift, fabrics used by balloons, construction, how to weave a gondola, and the pressure put on the fabric by the gas.

IMG_2002IMG_2007

Carrie trying out the simulator. I wish I could say we rode in a balloon….but we’re not the Bachelor. Next vacation, next vacation.

After a grueling day of science absorption, we went to the pool.

IMG_2011

Carrie lovingly took some pics of me and my baby boy.

IMG_2026IMG_2027IMG_2043

And we ended the day with some s’mores at my Aunt and Uncle’s house. With S’more marshmallows- super thin. Perfect for s’mores.

IMG_2048

Hooray for Balloons and S’mores!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...