Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Pierogies!


Once upon a time, I was a teenage girl, and a girl moved into my ward from Pittsburgh. Kassandra quickly became my ally in all things related to being a teenage girl, and her mom introduced me to Pierogies. Potato dumplings, fried in butter with browned onions, topped with dallops of sour cream. Polish comfort food. So good. (In case you didn't know, there's a lot of Polish people in Pittsburgh). Anyways, since my first bite in 10th grade Pierogies have been one of my favorite foods, I even threw a pierogi party once in college. (What? You were there? Wasn't that awesome? I know right, the Riveria rocked hard core. Sigh. Good times, good times.)

So....I used to buy em from the store and fry em up. John fell in love with them, but Wally world stopped carrying them, so I was stuck longing for them to no avail.

Until today.

There I was, reading the february 2008 Martha Stewart magazine in the library, while Natalie played with dump trucks and trains, and sneezed on all the toys, and I saw this recipe, originally from Martha Stewart's Mother, Big Martha. (Side note, I love her name, my great grandmother was known as Big Mother). I'd tried a homemade pierogi recipe a year or so ago, the dough wasn't elastic enough and the potatos were dry.

But Martha's? Perfect. What else would you expect?


A photo diary of my pierogie goodness:

And yes, those plates are from the dollar store and the yellow ones are the SAME 1970's yellow flower ones I had in college.
Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

acclin said...

Being 100% polish myself I love pierogies too! Incase you don't want to go to all the effort of making them they do sell them at food lion. Another great way to eat them is with polish kielbasa, a little onion and peas.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...