Saturday, July 17, 2010

Kids Apron and a Birthday Outfit and a Faux Hawk and a Rainbow!

IMG_6692

On Monday we had a birthday party to go to, so we whipped up this little apron and hat. I modeled the hat after one we bought at Target, and the apron off an apron my mom made the girls. Basically the same dimensions as a normal kids apron, you use a contrasting fabric for the bottom 6 inches, and cut a strip twice as long so you can ruffle it.

We gave it to Sophia’s friend with a brownie mix. I mean, who doesn’t want a brownie mix for their birthday??

Like the messy house? That’s what happens when you spend all morning sewing, you can’t find a spot in the house that doesn’t have random stuff all over.

IMG_6700 

Sidney’s Five Year Skirt

IMG_6323

This was a skirt and shirt I made for my niece Sidney for her fifth birthday. She is a girly girl through and through. I bought out Target when they had girl’s classic tee shirts on sale for 1 dollar. Then I appliqued a 5 on the front. I gathered chiffon to make a rose then sewed a safety pin on the back so she can move it to wherever she wants.

The skirt was inspired by Dana at MADE (can can skirt). I made a simple gathered skirt. Then cut the chiffon fabric out to be 3 inches by 4 times as long as the circumference of the skirt, and gathered as I sewed. At first I tried to baste and gather, then pin and sew- big fat FAIL. So I gathered as I sewed, in little foot long sections of chiffon.

Speaking of chiffon, I used the no fray kind- the kind from Jo Ann’s frays. So I bought it online.

And Sidney loved it, put it on as soon as she saw it out of the box. :)

IMG_6324

In other news about packages…we got this cute vest from my Aunt Judy. I took some pictures to send her. You’re never too young for a biker vest…or a faux hawk. Am I right Ladies?

IMG_6730

This morning I was having a pity party for myself because I had ambition to get things done, but no clear list of things to do, then no real way to do them with a cranky baby. I snapped myself out of it with some exercise and bbq chicken pizza.

Tonight we went on a family run/bike ride. (Tried out my new-to- me jogging stroller. I felt so athletic) We had to come back after 30 minutes due to a thunderstorm rolling in. When we got home we looked out the window to see a rainbow. John immediately started quoting that obnoxious double rainbow youtube video. Sophia and I went outside to take pictures.

It was a nice ending to my day- a reminder that there is a silver lining to the thunderstorms of one’s life. It’s so easy to complain about life’s inconveniences, like babies that won’t sleep when you want them to and a house that always needs cleaning- but 2 months ago I just wanted the baby to be born and healthy, and a year ago I wanted to be pregnant, and we worked dang hard to save money to buy a house. I prayed for this type of weather, so I’m trying to enjoy it.  Cute kids like these, and a good adrenaline pumping  jog in the storm air  makes it easier.

IMG_6764

Happy Weekend to you!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...