Monday, March 15, 2010

St Patrick's Day Preschool

Today we celebrated St. Patrick's Day...a few days early.

For worksheet time we did writing practice with symbols of St Patrick's day: gold, rainbow, flag, pot. And did a Math worksheet with leprechauns and pots of gold. Their journal entry was "If I had a pot of Gold I would..." Some of the girls said share. One said hide it under her bed.

We read about St. Patrick and how he taught about the Trinity with a shamrock, brought Catholicism to Ireland, and got rid of all the snakes in Ireland. We talked about dancing fairies and the leprechauns that repaired their shoes at night, then saved their gold coins as payment in pots of gold.

Then we played St Patrick's day memory, with clipart memory. I printed this image out twice and mounted each card on green cardstock.

After we played Memory, we had Lucky Charms for snack. If I had all the time in the world, it would have been mint brownies. But alas, that didn't happen. Lucky Charms was a hit though.

Then we painted salt dough shamrocks and beads for a St Patrick's day necklace. You can find the recipe here on Alphamom. I made a double recipe. I ended up using four times as much water as the recipe calls for, in order to make the dough pliable and not crumbly. One batch would have been enough for 4 kids, but I made extra bunny beads for an activity on Easter. I made the beads last night, we painted today, and then I'll spray them with clear spray paint and give them to the girls at the next preschool day.

Next we went on a treasure hunt. I used the clues from JesseKateDesigns treasure hunt post. She used real gold coins and then had her kids think of ways to give them away. I used chocolate coins and let them eat them.

For our pots of gold, I used my cricut to cut out Nut cups at 5 and 3/4". Then I used pipe cleaners to make a rainbow handle. 4 qty of 3/4" hearts made up each shamrock on the pot of gold. I couldn't find a whole big bag of chocolate coins, so I bought CareBear coins that were 75 percent off at my local party store. And then gave each child one gold coin each. (Gold Coins were like 1.30 for 5 pieces of candy- such a rip off!)

After the treasure hunt, we read some books, listened to Harp music on youtube, and learned this Leprechaun song.

Sung to the tune of "I'm a little Teapot"

"I'm a little Leprechaun dressed in green. (Point to yourself, find green to point to)

The tiniest man (Hold your hand up to show how tiny he is)

That you have ever seen.

If you ever catch me, so it's told, (Pretend like you're running)

I'll give you my pot of Gold." (Hands outstretched to give imaginary pot of Gold)

That was our St Patrick's day....

On the real one, we'll be driving to Nauvoo, IL

and enjoying a mini vacation!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...