Thursday, March 26, 2009

Joy School Happenings

This week was all about IMAGINATION.

So we did lots of plays, lots of imagination exercises. And some fun crafts. Or I think so.

First, have you read this book?

It's the coolest.
Not a Box by Antoinette Portis. Go check it out. But if you live in my town, wait three weeks until we return it.

Making a book like this with our own objects (blanket, bowl, tube, etc) is on my rainy day craft list.


For joy school this week we made windcatchers. Left this one outside and it rained. Whoops. Better clean that up before the little one does.



And some suncatchers made out of tissue paper on contact paper to put in the window. It flopped. The kids hated it. Here's my bunny. They had no idea what to make, sophia freaked out because the tissue paper wasn't the right shape, everyone just couldn't think of something to start with, and I didn't want to give them an exact idea because it was about imagination. Next time the object will be to cover something with the tissue paper, rather than make a drawing. Oh well.


We made Snail crescent rolls, as seen this month's Parent's magazine article "Smart Snacking" . They used pesto, we used cinnamon sugar. Next time I think we'll pick flatter insects, or stretch and roll really tight for maximum shell height.Below you can see Sophia's snail and butterfly, and Kate slicing her dough for snails.



This craft was convenient because I may or may not have a three months' supply of crescent rolls taking up my whole vegetable drawer in my fridge. Did I mention we're having chicken pillows for dinner tonight?

Hope you have a fun day with your kids!

1 comment:

Jodi Reeve said...

I know I have told you before, but you are so creative. I love stealing your ideas:)

Today, we dug in the garden, drew roads on the sidewalk with chalk, made cupcakes for Caleb's 4th b-day party, went to Toys r us to spend b-day money from grandmas, and had dance parties, oh and hair cuts all around for my 3 guys. Busy times, but good ones too.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...