Tuesday, April 14, 2009

People Mix-Up


So the other day I saw this on Design Sponge, a perpetual calendar.
After I made one, I was thinking about toys that are similar, we have some at our house that rotate head/body/legs to make hybrid animals.

So we made some of our own with oatmeal containers. We chose a face and people. This idea lends itself towards animals, strips of subj/verb/object to make new sentences or easter egg designs, or other things I can't think of...

Here's how we did it:
First, we made a paper to fit around the container. We used an oatmeal container, so we needed two 81/2 by 11 sheets of paper.
Then I folded it into thirds, so that there would be three people across.
Then I folded it into quarters the other way. I drew lines down the folds to know where the cuts would be.
Then I made a pattern of a person that would fit within the lines (shoes below the bottom lines, waist at the middle line, head above the first line, etc. ). I traced it three times onto the paper.
We colored them in, making sure to change the face, clothes, etc with each one.
Then we cut down across all the faces and people, so the nose, could be changed to a new one, hat could be changed etc. This was hard for sophia to get, I had to show her how it would work so she wouldn't cut each person out.
Then we taped each strip around the container. And voila! A person changer. It kind of looks like a magician's show where they put your body in a box and seperate it from your head.

1 comment:

The Brymers said...

This is so cool! I will definitely try this! Thanks for posting

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...