Sunday, January 15, 2012

Curly Hair

I’ve been curly for almost a year now. But only a month ago did I get my hands on this book. Curly Girl by Lorraine Massey. The book is all about how to take care of curly hair.

A year ago I read about the key elements of her method- shampoo little or not at all, wash with conditioner, squeeze hair dry rather than rub with a towel, use sulfate free products. Those things helped my hair a lot, and I was able to pull off curly hair every day. But reading her book made my good hair days even better. She explains how to find conditioners that will help your hair (what to look for in the label), how to pin curl the top of your hair for more definition, which styling products you need (clear gel- that’s it).

IMG_8032IMG_7969

My sister and I went on a trip to Walmart over Christmas and bought a bunch of different conditioners. I was tired of waiting months to try new conditioners and oils. And I kept looking at curly hair websites with web order only conditioners, and thinking I could maybe find what I wanted now that I know what to look for in shampoos and conditioners.

My favorites so far have been:

 

Organix coconut milk conditioner. It has coconut milk, and egg white proteins. The curly girl book has a homemade recipe for soaking your hair in egg whites to nourish it. So I figured it wouldn’t hurt- and it’s been great. My hair isn’t as stringy and has bigger curl with this conditioner. Found at walmart!

The other one I’ve loved is

 Burt’s Bees Super Shiny Grapefruit and Sugar Beet Shampoo and conditioner.

I use the shampoo once a week, and do the sugar beet conditioner or organix (above) the other days. My hair does look shinier afterwards- and smells so good. And it’s free of sulfates and the other stuff that strips your hair of natural oils. Now that I’m convinced I can be curly all the time and not be frizzed out, I just have to figure out how long I want to grow my hair out. I always chicken out about this length and cut it short. I’m going to see how long I go before I feel like an amazon woman.

Hooray for curly hair!

1 comment:

Shelly Beth said...

Thanks for this post! Seriously enjoyed it. I have always had curly hair but have never looked into products that would help my hair look and feel healthier. I need to try those products...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...